Books 25-29

I'm in trouble and I know it.

25. Ready Player One, Ernest Cline. I loved this book! I gave it 5 stars on Goodreads which is super rare. I just couldn't put it down and though it was clever and entertaining. A lot of people have been reading it this summer and I totally get it.

26. Speak, Laurie Halse Anderson. I had read this book before, probably during high school, and I remembered the basic premise but no details. Reading through it this time, I found the main character kind of unbelievable. She was just so specifically witty in her misery. However, when I read this book during high school I don't remember her being unbelievable, so maybe it's that I have forgotten what it's like to be a teenager.

27. Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger. Another reread from high school. Another possibly unbelievable narrator, though I found his way of talking more realistic than the previous. I am going to suggest my students read it this year and see if they have anything in common with him.

28. The Time Traveler's Wife, Audrey Niffenegger. I listened to this on a road trip and really really liked it. I had seen the movie and it was helpful to have a basic idea of the plot, but the book was SO much better. Believable love stories are just so so touching to me, and this book did a good job of making the relationship realistic. There were a few points where I actually liked how they did things in the movie better, so taking them as a package, I would recommend this.

29. Peace Like a River, Leif Enger. I had also read this book before and really loved it when I read it the first time. This time I listened to the audiobook and it didn't work for me as well. I couldn't follow the details very well, and a lot of what I loved was beautiful sentence structure, which doesn't come across. I would still recommend this book, but definitely reading it and not listening to it.

I am STILL not done with East of Eden (I haven't had a lot of solo listening time in quite a while) but I'm so close! My next read will be The Glass Castle, which 5 of my friends recommended to me, so I really have high expectations.

I'm giving myself until the official end of summer to read these books, so I hope I make it. I have some big books coming up, but I'm excited for them. I'm still really enjoying this challenge, even as I'm failing at it.

Comments