Books 17-20

17. My Name Is Asher Lev, Chaim Potok. While I was reading this book I didn't realize the significance of it to myself, but a few hours after I finished and was still thinking about it, it occurred to me how relatable this story is to single adult Mormons. Having a strong faith connection but not living up to expectations is an extremely common story for people in my life. This is definitely a book I will recommend, and those are hard to come by for me.

18. Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus, John Gray. This is a second book that has become important to me and that I will recommend. The premise is ridiculous (men and women are literally from different planets--he refers to it several times throughout the book and I could not stop myself from rolling my eyes) and there are definitely some outdated ideas about men and women. But, even through all of that, I found my eyes really opened to some fundamental differences in perspectives and communication that have caused minor issues in my (really, really great) relationship. I feel like after reading this book and putting these things into practice, there will be no challenges that can't be worked out. Sounds naive, but I have noticed a real difference already. Read this book.

19. Attachments, Rainbow Rowell. This book is adorable. It's a great story and it won't make you feel sad or hopeless and that's pretty rare in fiction these days. It's also a Y2K throwback, which is just a bonus. This book passes the mom test, and I would even read it again.

20. The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, Oliver Sacks. I would never have read this book if it wasn't recommended to me, and I still had to skim through a lot of the neurological jargon, but the stories were interesting and I found a lot of connections. It also surprisingly had some implications to my view of teaching special education.

Currently reading Dracula and still listening to East of Eden (and loving it. I adore that book). Tomorrow is halfway through the summer and I've read 42% of my pages. I'm bringing a Nook on a trip to Utah and I've never used an e-reader so hopefully that doesn't hinder my reading because I'm planning on tackling some important books (Ready Player One, Goldfinch, David and Goliath, and Americanah). Please bless I have a lot to report in about 10 days!

Comments