Books 4-7

4. Alias Grace, Margaret Atwood. I read this book back in high school at the recommendation of my best friend and I remember loving it, but I hardly remembered anything about it. It was a good reread because it was easy to follow the plot already being familiar with it, but I was shocked again at all the surprises. I was also continually appalled at the way women were treated/thought of/talked about. I know that we have come a long way in terms of equality for women, but it was still painful to see it laid out so explicitly. This book is an interesting hybrid of real facts and embellished narrative.

5. Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, Robin Sloan. I had seen this book at stores for years and kept planning on reading it eventually, so I was happy that Katharine recommended it and lent it to me. This book was a quick, fun read. It's fairly dated in the time period it was written (2009, I think) with talk of Google and Facebook and Kindles, but since we're still in that time period more or less, a lot of it was relatable.

6. The Wilderness: Deep Inside the Republican Party's Combative, Contentious, Chaotic Quest to Take Back the White House, McKay Coppins. I would not have read this book if my brother didn't write it. Republican politics are uninteresting to me at best and aggravating to me at worst. However, McKay is a great storyteller and by hearing their backstories, I found myself sympathizing with a lot of the candidates I was hating on earlier this year (except Donald Trump. Nothing will humanize that monster). It was cool to get more info on so many of the issues I've been hearing about this campaign cycle.

7. Middlesex, Jeffrey Eugenides. I read this for a book club with a few friends, and we haven't discussed it yet, so I look forward to adding their perspectives to my opinion on this book. It was a really fascinating story, and pretty eye-opening to a world I didn't know much about (intersex people). The book is hefty, but I got hooked in fairly easily. However, there are some definite problems. If you have read it and want to discuss, I'm happy to talk!

I finished 7 books by 15 days into this challenge, so I'm actually not doing too badly. I'm working on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Looking for Alaska, and What is the What now!

Comments