Books 10-13

10. Ethan Frome, Edith Wharton. I read House of Mirth in college and remember really liking it. This book was very different, and it moved so quickly (only 99 pages) that I wasn't sure if I was missing the point. I read extensive Sparknotes after finishing and realized I didn't miss any details, but another person's summary did help me see the point. That makes me feel like a garbage English major/teacher, but oh well. Early twentieth century lit isn't my favorite anyway.

11. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, JK Rowling. One million stars to this book. I had SO MANY FEELINGS while listening to this. Countless tears. So many details I had forgotten about. But even knowing what was going to happen didn't soothe me. I basically cried from Dobby's death all the way to the end. Happy and sad tears, for so many reasons. I'm excited to read the new book and see the movie coming out, but I doubt it will ever be the same. The good thing is I can always read them again.

12. In Defense of Food, Michael Pollan. I am not a big fan of nonfiction books. I often feel like the same minimal information is repeated again and again to fill an entire book. I know about BSing to fill page requirements (I attended both high school and college), so I'm happy he's making money from this book, but I wish I could get the information in a more succinct way (like an article). Therefore, I did some skimming. This is the first book I haven't read cover to cover, but I'm counting it because I still came away with some important principles: Eat food. Not a lot. Mostly plants. (I guess I could have gotten that from the cover.)

13. The Life-changing Magic of Tidying Up, Marie Kondo. Again, a nonfiction book with the same issue. A lot of information was repeated. On top of that, a lot of information was a little wacko. I like her ideas, and I think I will go through a big decluttering process in my house (I waited until the last day of school to read this book so I could embark on this project with a lot of time on my hands), but I don't think I'll get to the point of emptying out my handbag at the end of each day or thanking my possessions for serving me. Or drying my sponge on the veranda.

Currently reading Big Little Lies and I'll need to start a new audiobook too. I'm feeling good about my pace!

Comments