Celebrations.

I would like to take this opportunity to say that celebrating holidays is a completely valid thing and we should never stop doing it.

I have heard several anti-Valentine's Day arguments along the lines of "A day devoted to what we should be doing year-round is a just a little ridiculous."

But wait. Shouldn't we love Christ year-round? But we celebrate his birth at Christmas with trees and gifts and his resurrection at Easter with bunnies and candy. Shouldn't we be thankful year-round? But we gather with family and eat a plentiful meal at Thanksgiving. Shouldn't we honor our parents year-round? But we have one specific day to think about our mothers and a different specific day to remember our fathers. Shouldn't we be glad every day that we are still alive and growing older? But we have a birthday every year!

I like to have a reason to make a day a little special. I like to watch fireworks on the Fourth of July and I like to wear green on St. Patrick's Day and I like to count down to midnight on New Year's Eve to welcome in the new year. I like to have a reason to bring some cheer into my life on every possible occasion.

Of course I agree that we should love whoever we do all the time. But I find no fault in celebrating love (or anything) in a special way on this Valentine's Day.


Comments

Post a Comment