One Thing

My team at work just started a One Thing competition. Daily, we email our managers to state what the One most important Thing we will do that day is, who we need help from, and which key performance indicator it applies to. We have to determine and declare it by 10 am, and we have to report back before midnight whether or not we completed it. We get points for sending the emails and we get (fewer) points for being needed by someone else. After one month, the first, second, and third place employees get CA$H PRIZE$. I was doing pretty well until I forgot to report yesterday, and I'm afraid I've fallen behind. We still have two weeks, so I might be able to make it up.

This system has started to make its way into my out-of-office life. Although I don't have much time after work, and a big chunk of the time I do have is spent thinking about what I'm going to eat/preparing something to eat/actually eating, once in a while I have one goal that I want to accomplish and I focus my attention on that. I have no manager to report to (speaking of, I guess I can get a free life coach through my work. I'm thinking about it), so sometimes my One Thing isn't very life-altering.

Today, for example, the One Thing I chose to accomplish was determine the identity* of the 801 number who texted me "Hey what's up?" at 8:11 am EST. There are no key performance indicators for that.

Maybe I'll get that life coach after all.

*I did it, by the way. It was this person (see Friday's thorn).

Comments