Pomp and Circumstance

Today, I am waking up not as a BYU student. It's the first time since January 18, 2006, which was the day I got my acceptance letter.

BYU has been so great to me. I will miss it terribly. It's sad to imagine that if I go into the HBLL or the gym, I can no longer sign onto a computer or get a wristband to use these facilities. I'm not looking for housing, signing up for classes, or making a graduation plan. I'm done with all of that. A few of my friends tell me they're jealous, that they're looking forward to the day they will graduate, but to be honest, I doubt it. Being in college is great and it's easy, because you almost always know what the next step is: keep moving toward graduation.

Confession time: if you are wondering what I'm going to do now, you're not the only one. I have received no job offers so far, but not for lack of searching, applying, and interviewing. My ultimate career goal is to be a middle school English teacher, but since I didn't get a degree in English Teaching (curse that younger, less mature version of myself who started studying English at BYU because she liked reading books! Why didn't she consider the future at all?!), I need to take an alternate route to get there. I am waiting to hear back from a few places, and while I wait, I'm going to be staying in Provo for the month of May. If I am still jobless at that point, I will admit defeat and move into the ultimate summer home: my parents' beach house in Hull, MA.

It's hard to be proud of myself for graduating from college when I still haven't completed the very last assignment: find a job. But I still have hope!

Now, just for fun, here is the version of me that came to BYU almost six years ago:

And here is the version that graduated yesterday:


I've grown up a bit.

Comments

Post a Comment