To understand just one life, you have to swallow the world. I told you that.

"I no longer want to be anything except what who I am. Who what am I? My answer: I am the sum total of everything that went before me, of all I have been seen done, of everything done-to-me. I am everyone everything whose being-in-the-world  affected was affected by mine. I am anything that happens after I've gone which would not have happened if I had not come... I repeat for the last time: to understand me, you'll have to swallow a world."
Salman Rushdie, via Saleem Sinai, Midnight's Children.

Yesterday morning I didn't go to my Brit Lit class because I hadn't finished this masterpiece of a contemporary novel and I didn't want it ruined by the class discussion.

I'm making the weirdest decisions these days.

Comments

  1. I wish I had made that decision this morning, when my class discussed the most lovely book I know... and made me want to cry. In a temper tantrum kind of way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment