week seven million or something like that

Okay, it´s finally getting cold here. And for weeks I´ve been walking around without a coat because yeah, I´m not cold when it´s 60 degrees. But all of a sudden it´s FREEZING and I wear a coat and my hands are always ice cream (helado) (also means cold) and everyone is noticing. Ha! Winter starts next month.

We had zone conference again this week. It was super good and we went out to work that night with all the excitement in the world. And a miracle occurred. We were looking for a woman in a house with a million rooms (they´re called piezas here and I´d say probably the majority of our sector is just people that rent rooms instead of having a house-- it makes it hard to teach men) and she wasn´t there but the woman who discovered that she wasn´t there wanted to talk to us so we started sharing the gospel with her. Her name is [Lucia] and she has been having dreams that Jesus is telling her to get baptized in a river and she knows she has to get baptized but she was waiting for the right time or something. Anyway, the lesson was incredible and she accepted our "conditional challenge" to be baptized on June 26th, the last week of our 3-month goal of 5 baptisms, if she received an answer. This means that she had to come to church the following 3 Sundays to have gone 3 times before she gets baptized, which is our rule. We taught some seriously good, powerful lessons this week. Saturday after lunch we started our fast. Our Zone Leaders decided that we should all fast for all the baptismal dates in our zone, and that they would all go to church on Sunday to be eligible to be baptized by the end of the month. We left Saturday afternoon for the worst day of working I´ve had here in the mission. NO ONE was home or wanted to talk to us. We went to every single person we planned, which is 22 people (two for each half hour of the day) and taught one lesson, with our beloved Susana and Miguel (the beloved part is sarcastic, by the way). She has decided that she´s going to live in Peru and leave him here. Ay.

Anyway, Saturday FINALLY, by some miracle, ended. We came home absolutely dead, but woke up Sunday with even more hope in our heart than the day before. We were supposed to have 6 investigators at church, and had made all the arrangements necessary-- phone calls, other people, etc. We went to pick up [Lucia]. Sick. Couldn´t come. Okay, not getting baptized on June 26th. Walk to church alone. Wait for Angel, Jessica, Nancy, Alison, and Felipe. They all didn´t come. We had ZERO investigators at church. How embarrassing! Miguel showed up, alone, without his member wife, and when I asked where she was he told me not to talk to him about her. Umm... awkward. But anyway, he is still slowly quitting smoking, and he knows he has to get baptized, so he will someday. We can´t waste our time teaching him like before, but when he´s ready he´ll let us know. So anyway, the weekend was a little disappointing after such an uplifting week. But we still have hope in Alison and Felipe, who are the children of a member, and have come to church before. Alison has already accepted to be baptized, and Felipe is less sure but we have faith! We will accomplish this goal of 5 baptisms!

I wore my contacts instead of my glasses on Wednesday for zone conference (for the first time here in Chile) and everyone thought I was someone else. Umm, do I really look THAT different with glasses? We encountered a member on the street later that day and she was like "Oh, do you have a new companion? Oh, she´s so blanquita y bonita (white and pretty)!" Umm, awkward. I wouldn´t be pretty if I wasn´t white? I´m not pretty with my glasses? Haha people here are so blunt.

HQ and I have started recording ridiculous videos of us singing hymns. Maybe sometime I´ll find a way to send them to you guys, but you probably won´t think they´re as funny as we do.

I don´t have much more to say today, sorry. But I love you guys! I hope you´re doing well, and I am certainly doing well here, but freezing all the time. :) Enjoy your summer.
Love,
Hermana Coppins

Comments