Books 21-24

Remember how I thought I was going to get a ton of reading done while I was in Utah? Hahahahahahaha.

I'm not doing very well, guys. I'm far off track and looking at the last few weeks of summer (I'm about to start crying) I don't really see a way to catch up. However, I am going to continue trying valiantly, and even if I don't finish all 50 by August 31, I will finish them eventually, and I have still read A TON this summer.

21. Dracula, Bram Stoker. I was very surprised at how much I liked this book. I normally prefer contemporary fiction, but this book was so spooky and really well-written. Telling the story through letters and diary entries was innovative, and I just kept wondering what was going to happen next.

22. The Goldfinch, Donna Tartt. I was originally freaked out by how long this book was, but reading it was easy and it kept my attention the whole time. I experienced a huge range of emotions while reading but the end was satisfying without being unbelievable.

23. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, "JK Rowling"/Jack Thorne/John Tiffany. I had to read this book, because Harry Potter duh, but I knew it wasn't going to be anything like a new HP novel. I missed out on the character development and descriptions that are missing in a script, and all the people who are saying it feels like fan fiction are right. I don't regret reading it, and it was fun to enter the world again with a new story, but I definitely wanted more. Also, I don't believe JK Rowling played anything more than a minimal part in this.

24. Americanah, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Okay I love reading novels about people/experiences that I know nothing about because it's like a whole new world opened up to me. This book was exactly like that and I ate it up. My only problem is that I take in these books as if the story is real, and because it's not, it just can't be a completely accurate representation. But still, this book is the bomb. It made me think a lot and entertained me while doing so.

I'm still listening to East of Eden (LOL it's taking an eternity but it's the best so I don't mind) and I'm about to read Ready Player One! Bring it on, August.

Comments